Moni Preveli

Wedding in Monasteries

M. Arsaniou

An old male monastery 12 km east of Rethymno, in the community of Pangalochori, which is founded in the Late Venetian period. The founder was someone Arsenios, hence the name. In 1601, the great temple of S. George was founded, the Catholic of the monastery, cross-shaped basillica with a tholos (troulos).

The great earthquake in 1856 came to destroy great part of the monastery and a decade later the monks gave its riches to the liberating struggle of 1866. During the lasta Cretan revolt (1897-98), Arseni lived its own holocaust with the prior Emmanuel Klados finding death in a fight with the Turks. It was the last offer of the monastery before the liberation of Crete. The next station in the monastery’s history is 1941, when the Germans shoot the monk Damianos Kallergis for hiding rebels and taking care of them.

The modern temple was built in 1888 in the place of the old temple, and in the same type. The monastery was rennovated in early ‘70s and later the wall was decorated, the museum and the counsil center was founded.

Your wedding will be in another dimension in this imperative, respected, and full of history monastery.

  • M. Arsaniou
  • M. Arsaniou

Moni Preveli

Moni Preveli (Ag. Ioannis Theologos) is at distance of 37 km south of Rethymno, in a beautiful natural location west of the estuaries of Kourtaliotis river, and is subdued in the Bishopric of Lambis and Sfakion. It includes two separate moansteries, which are in 1.7 km distance among them, the Kato Moni of Prodromos and Piso Moni of Theologos. The monastery has rich history and a glorious past, due to the important role that played in the liberating struggles of Crete. The road, 2 km from the monastery, leads to the Palm Tree River, which flows through the Kourtaliotis Gorge, a place full of vegetation, and rough and high walls, one of the most beautiful sights in Crete. It took (p.6) its name from the knocks created when the rocks fall because of the wind and make a sound like castanets (kourtala).

It is not known when the monastery was built, but there are strong indications that the first nucleus of the monastery was organized in the complex of Kato Monastiri, during the 2nd Byzantine occupation of Crete, in the late 10th- early 11th century, when the south coasts of Crete were filled with small and great monasteries. It is the first complex that the visitor sees, when coming from Rethymno, which now is ruined. It is near the Great River and the curved bridge of the area. It is an irregular complex of buildings with a central court, in the center of which there is the temple of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, while around of it there is the Holy Table, the cookery, the priory, the cells, laboratories, olive mills, stockhouses etc. The monastery was used in older times all over the year, as the fields around it were the most ideal for agriculture and stockbreeding. Even though, it was abandoned, for it was destroyed and raided by several conquerors.

Your wedding will be in another dimension in this imperative, respected, and full of history monastery.

  • M. Preveli
  • M. Preveli
  • M. Preveli
  • M. Preveli
  • M. Preveli
  • M. Preveli