Catholic Wedding

Catholic Wedding

The Catholic Wedding is a documented ceremony that can be carried out by any Greek Catholic Bishop. The Greek Catholic Church is a part of the worldwide church under the spiritual guidance of the Pope. The congress of bishops of Greece has determined 9 Catholic bishops in all Greece.

The Catholic wedding ceremony in Greece follows the procedure of a typical catholic wedding. The ceremony demands one or more best man and maids. The groom, accompanied by one of the best men and the priest, awaits for the bride. The bridesmaids walk down the aisle, just before the bride. Afterwards, the beautiful bride accompanied by her father or a dear relative or friend, arrives at the altar. The ceremony begins. The priest reads the Bible with references to eternal union and a new beginning. Then, the couple exchanges vows of real love and devotion. Then, the priests asks the couple if they accept each other and the answer, of course, is “yes”.

Subsequently, the priests blesses the rings and the couple exchanges them. The priest, also, blesses the couple with the sign of peace and the Holy Communion as a declaration of divine acceptance. All the sacred passages that are being read during the ceremony and the parts of the ceremony that are being implemented are according to the typical Catholic Wedding Ceremony. However, together with each bishop’s priest you can add or remove some parts. You won’t have complete freedom to change the whole ceremony, of course, because some prayers are defined by the ceremony.

In order to realize the Catholic Wedding Ceremony in Greece, you have to consider all the legal liabilities. Below is all the documentation that you need:

  • Passports (of both)
  • Full birth certificates (with parents’ names) of bride and groom
  • From your local bishop: Certificate of No Impedlment. This document certifies that you have not been married before, therefore allowing you to get married. If one or both have been married before you will need a divorce certificate.
  • Certificate that says that you have permission to get married abroad.
  • Certificate that says that you have not completed the “Pre-Cana”.
  • Certificate of baptism.

Note: All the documents (except for your travel documents) need to be proven for their originality with the “Apostille” stamp and be sent to us 6 weeks before the wedding.